Sunday, February 14, 2010

Windows to the Soul


I've always said green. That's what my license says too. But you know - its funny - when I wear certain colors folks think they're blue or gray and when I wear others they look green. And then if I look in the mirror I can see little gold/hazel flecks too. Even the lighting makes a difference. So the other evening I thought it'd be fun to try and do a macro of my eyeball to get a closer look at the color...

I did a little wiki eye color search and found some pretty interesting information. Eye color is actually based on more than just one gene and apparently is a phenotypic trait. And the color itself comes from different ratios of eumelanin produced in the melanocytes in the iris.


Everyone has heard that "Eyes are the windows to the soul" How about these?

The eye is the window of the soul, the mouth the door. The intellect, the will, are seen in the eye; the emotions, sensibilities, and affections, in the mouth. The animals look for man's intentions right into his eyes. Even a rat, when you hunt him and bring him to bay, looks you in the eye.
- Hiram Powers, American sculptor (1805 - 1873)

I need no dictionary of quotations to remind me that the eyes are the windows of the soul.
- Max Beerbohm

The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
- Matthew 6:22-23 (King James)

Thou sun, of this great world both eye and soul.
- Milton.

They say that the eye is the window to the soul. But it is the soul that is the window.
- Andrew Hamilton

The eyes indicate the antiquity of the soul.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The eyes of our souls only then begin to see, when our bodily eyes are closing.
- Law.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Bo said...

I think your iris is unusually complex, generating the "change color" quality. It's easy to see in the first photo. Great work.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Thanks Bo! Was pretty fun really to take a closer look. Never really do ... how often do you look in the mirror that closely...ya know?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home