Thursday, December 18, 2008

Firecracker Press

I took a letterpress pilgramige of sorts with Paul to Firecracker Press on Cherokee Street, St.Louis, MO.

Here it is - Firecracker Press - a beautiful little letterpress covey for Vandercooks, C&Ps, paper, type and ink.

Eric Woods, owner and operator was kind enough to give us a chat and a tour of his place after I mentioned Preston (my 10x15 C&P).

Here's Eric's C&P. Its from the mid 1930s - about 10 years newer than mine. They use is for finishing now - no ink - die cutting, folding and the lot.

I also chatted with Eric's employee (who's picking up ink on a brayer in this picture) about dies and Owosso. He was really nice too.

I bought some letterpress cards and Paul and I thanked Mr. Woods for the visit. I'm definitely going to try doing some wood cuts after seeing the beautiful results at Firecracker Press. I hope to one day operate a business very much like this one - and hopefully just as cool.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Brinabat!
Sorry, this is (way) off topic, but, what would you recommend for caving boots?
Tampopo

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Ah No worries - excellent question - Any boot with good lug soles - and a top that covers the ankle - and that are not so expensive that you're going to feel bad about trashing them. Try Wal-mart first! And personally, I have had great experiences with North Face and Columbia winter boots - the kind with the rubber along the bottom. (Look up North Face Chilkats Lace up). I put my boots through their paces and it seems I have to replace them every 2 years - which is really good for a caving boot.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

PS - the NF winter boots run about $55 in the boys sizes. Women's sizes run $85. And the guys run $110/120.

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Brina!
By the way, I've really enjoyed your blog (favorite posts include those on art, caving, and the one with "Where in the World Is Matt?"). You also have some great links.
I'll check out those North Face and Columbia boots (good ankle support is an issue for me).Thanks, again!
Tampopo

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Happy to be of service. And Thanks for the compliment. Its not often that I hear from folks. I'll be sure to keep up the interesting posts - last thing I want this blog to become is a yawn. You'll have to tell me what boots you go with and how they work out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home