Monday, June 16, 2008

Water, Earth & Time


One never really understands the satisfaction that comes with planting a garden until your sitting down for dinner with perfectly steamed snow peas that were clipped from the vine an hour ago. This year we had a few "volunteers" come out of the planter box we'd used for composting over the winter. We now have a beautiful crop of acorn squash, like the little one in the photo above, and some Idaho potatoes growing in the other corner. (I wonder if I'm still aloud to call them Idaho - even though they are growing in Alabama?)

This is the first year I've grown radishes. They're awfully speedy growers and critters seem to really enjoy the tops, but we've been able to keep them down with some organic bug repellent we found at Garden Cove - made up of 100% garlic and peppermint oil.

This is also the first year we've grown any kind of lettuce greens. They've done particularly well and are just begging for us to fix a great big salad with them in the next couple of days. We've also got eggplant, corn, five types of tomatoes, onions, sunflowers, okra and carrots in various stages of growth, along with a potted herb garden of basil, cilantro, oregano, spearmint, lavender, rosemary, and parsley on the porch.

Looks like I finally begged a few comments out of my readers. Wooohooo! Thank you!! Its always nice to meet new folks too - so very nice to meet you Shannon. I'm completely addicted to comments. Sometimes I honestly wonder if anyone is out there - so if you are - do speak up! Its very nice to hear from you.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you commented on enjoying comments I will comment for you! I thought about doing it before, but wasn't sure. It's been a couple weeks now since I first found your blog, so I don't remember how I stumbled upon it, but I read your CRF trip report and it was great! I think I must've been surfing around for things about Mammoth. Anyway, love your posts!

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the garden. Reminds me of the garden Dad would plant and then when all the vegetables were depleted for the season, Paul and Glenn would play with their trucks in the dirt. Wow! that was a long time ago.
Louise

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Laura Williams said...

wow girly, your garden has been busy!!! verrry cool BEAN!!! :)

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

What fun to have comments!!! Woohooo!

Laura L - so glad you have discovered my site. I'm adding you to my long list of links - hope that's ok.

Louise - I've heard Paul speak of the gardens your folks planted often. Hard to think of Paul as ever being that little - but I've seen photos to prove it! ( :

Laura - my bestest roomie - glad to hear from you - and our wedding gift you gave to us is on the way!!

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Karisse said...

Oh my goodness...you've gone post crazy! I didn't realize I hadn't visited in so long! You completely give me garden envy. I want one so that I can eat what I grow! How fun and healthy. When exactly do you have to PLANT all these things anyway?

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful, now Karen will be wanting me to make a garden for her !! I just got done making 4 new planting areas for her to plant native flowers. Paul & I used to get to help Dad hoe the weeds from the garden. We were never as fast as he was. Of course Dad grew up keeping the garden free of weeds for Grandpa. Our Grandpa was a truck farmer he grew vegatables to sell at the local farmers market. He had the best Mush melons !! After all Meyer does translate to Farmer.
Glenn

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

I try to wait just past the point of the last frost. This year we were lucky! The last two years past we planted 1/2 the garden only to have the last frost take the majority of everything out - which totally sucks.
I think this year it was about the 3rd week of April. Part of it was seed - the greens, corn, radishes, carrots, peas & sunflowers. Everything else was bought from our local HSV nursery - Bennett's in little tiny 6 packs a few inches tall.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Glenn - gardens are really fun!!! You should have a little container garden on your porch. Just buy a few wash tubs, poke some holes and do an herb garden!

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's no problem! Thanks for adding me.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year was the first time I had a semi-successful tomato garden. So, naturally, this year the garden is even bigger! My parents were farm kids that moved to the 'burbs. So, I grew up being around gardens but I didn't necessarily inherit a green thumb. It's fun to try, though! My kids think it's pretty cool, too. We have four different types of tomatoes, some bell pepper plants (not flourishing for some reason), one zucchini plant (I'm the only one that eats it)and about five different kind of herbs.

I've had enough success this year, that I'm already mentally planning to expand the garden next year to include some yellow squash and potatoes. How hard are the onions to grow? I may try that, too.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Onions are very easy to grow. You buy the little bulbs and they sprout within a few days and everything leaves them alone. If you plant them around or near your other veggies - the onions provide a bit of bug-free protection too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home