Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Glass Blowing


I took a glass blowing class a couple weekends ago at Susan Knecht's studio at Lowe Mill. There were four students and she taught for about 5 hours. The first thing she showed us was to gather. Gathering is pulling a blob of molten glass from the pot. This takes a bit of getting used to - seeing as how its a might bit hot. An the only way you can tell that you're gathering is by the shadow of the rod above the surface of the molten glass since its all the same flaming orange color. The above photo is my first gather.

Sue showing us how to gather.

The second thing Sue showed us was how to manipulate glass with a few types of standard glass working tools. Here's my little flower.

The third item taught was a combination of the first two. 1. Gather. 2. Add color 3. Manipulate the glass. 4. Gather again. So here's my little paper weight.

The forth item was to see what it felt like to blow glass. So we gathered and then warmed the glass in the glory hole and then blew. Its NOT easy. I think I turned a bit red before I finally got a bubble.

The 5th was to try and make a glass of some sort. Blowing a bubble, cutting the glass off the blowpipe and placing it on another rod (or punty stick) and then heating it in the glory hole then finally using the tools to manipulate the glass and open the mouth. My bubble was offset - resulting in this rather wonky juice glass. But its still pretty darn cool.

For the last item - we could choose whatever we'd like to try. I went for a larger paperweight. With three gathers and random color.

Then Sue showed us how to make a plate -


It was incredible to see her work. So fast, so skilled. Can't wait for another class!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Laura Williams said...

i believe i was told that the next post would be your trip to JAX. liar liar pants on fire!!! :)
seriously though, COOL glass!!!! you should be a glassblower and make us all cool stuff out of glass. i want a wonky juice glass!!!

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Anne said...

What a fun thing to do! I think a glass-blowing class would be really neat.

And I like the wonky juice glass, too....and the flower. :)

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think what would be really cool is if the "gals" took a glass class with Sue. Oh, hey, now wouldn't that also mean you would come to Huntsville and visit the wonky juice glass maker.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wonky juice glass that is, not the wonky maker of juice glasses!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Laura Williams said...

i dont know paul, i think the juice glass, the juice glass maker, AND the juice glass maker's significant other are ALL a little wonky :) (but yes, i know, so is the juice glass maker's favorite roomate of all time. . . i'm a little wonky too.)

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Anne said...

So, Paul, are you saying that you would be up for all kinds of wonky (because I certainly use that word to define myself, too!) visitors? :)

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But of course.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Oh dear. My pants jsut burst into flames. Yes - next stop in post-ville is JAX. And yes Anne - we are up for all kinds of wonky visitors!! Anyone is welcome anytime!!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Your pants just burst into flames? Do I want to know why?

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Laura Williams said...

(cause she's a liar liar pants on fire. . .thats why!)

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Ahh, thanks Laura....I probably should have gotten that. Clearly I was paying more attention to my work and not enough to posting comments on Brina's blog! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home