Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Bruce, and a movie review


Just trying to add this little graphic to my "Books, Comics, Movies and TV" section. Paul and I watched Live Free or Die Hard the other evening. Good Stuff! If you need an "action movie pick-me-up" its highly recommended. Lots of good action, laughs and sweet cyber-spy stuff. Watching Live Free or Die Hard made me think of all the other Willis movies I like, so I added the only three I have not seen to my Netflix list (Sin City, 16 Blocks and Color of Night). Tears of the Sun was good, Unbreakable, Hart's War is sad, but good, The Sixth Sense - awesomely spooky and then the other Die Hards are all good Willis flicks. I own Bandits, Hudson Hawk and The Fifth Element. That said, one of my top-10 favorite movies would definitely have to be The Fifth Element. Bruce Willis AND Milla Jovovich - with the fate of the universe in their hands - Chris Rock for comedic relief and Gary Oldman as the evil Zorg, how can you possibly go wrong? If you have not seen The Fifth Element I implore you to find it and watch it this very instant! Right now! GO! You can read the rest of this post later...

You back yet?

Action movies are my favorite genre - especially action with some fantasy and a smidgen of comedy. The world is to serious all the time. I like taking a break from reality for a couple hours. Its rather nice to let your mind dip swell and hover in a well crafted fantastical world of a movie for a while. Reality will be waiting again once your done.

Well with 2008 finally in sight there are ton of cool movies coming up with my favorite action heroes! The two best FBI agents ever - Mulder and Scully are finally going be in the 2nd X Files movie (Summer, 2008 hopefully). My favorite archaeologist is gearing up for a new Indiana Jones movie - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (May 22nd, 2008) Off the top of my head - some of my favorite lines... "Junior?!" "Snakes, why did it have to be snakes?" "We named the dog Indiana!" "And X never ever marks the spot." And I just found out that Dark Knight (a Batman movie) is coming to the big screen too (July 18th, 2008) - although I can't quite picture Heath Ledger as the Joker, or as a bad guy for that matter. But I'll trust in the same writers and directors that made Batman Begins a "I wish I had seen this in the theatre" rental. It was a very pleasant surprise from the flop of Batman and Robin. Sorry George, I like ya - but you were a dorky Batman. And way too many ridiculously silly bad-guys. My favorite line in that movie was Chris' - "Holy rusted metal batman!" Which has been known to pop into my head and out of my mouth without thinking from time to time.

And then there are a couple movies from books that I'm rather ecstatic to see. From one of my all time favorite book series - The second Narnia movie - Prince Caspian (May 16th, 2008). If they do as good a job with it than they did with The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe - its going to be jaw-dropping! And then one of my recently read, well liked fiction books is coming to life with the handsome Brenden Fraiser (who narrated the books on CD) as Mo in Cornelia Funke's InkHeart (September, 19th, 2008) And then of course - Harry Potter and the 1/2 Blood Prince (November, 21st, 2008).

So mark your calendars folks. Paul and I will be in the darkened movie theatre, hopefully in our prime spot - back row, center - for the 1st showing of each of these movies. I'll be bouncing up and down, and Paul will probably be falling asleep (if its a midnight movie I have to drag him to). And I'm not even going to touch on all the cool books I'm not-so patiently waiting for in the new year. Mr. Butcher, Mr. Nix and Ms. Funke - you guys better hurry up!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Ahh, yes. The original "Die Hard" ranks right up there as one of the best Christmas movies ever!

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

I did a bit of research the past couple days, thinking that I'd finally pick up the Die Hard collection with all 4 movies. And would you know it - they've only released a boxed set to BLUERAY. How sucky is that? So Paul and I hit up Target for "Live Free or Die Hard" and then the Mothership (Barnes and Noble) for the boxed widescreen trilogy. And then of course I was up till 1:30 watching the first Die Hard. Hadn't seen it in such a long time - it was like watching a new movie. And it kicked ass. Now I'm all hopped up on Bruce Willis - and I can hear Die Harder and Die Hard with a Vengence calling my name as 5pm comes into view....

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Wow, you'd think they would have wanted to capitalize on having all four Die Hard movies packaged together for the holidays. So yeah, very sucky! I still haven't seen Die Hard with a Vengeance. I should just buy it, b/c I don't know anyone who didn't like it. I should watch the original one again, too, since I own it already.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

The past couple nights I've rewatched the first 3 Die Hards. The 4th is in line - if not even MORE exciting that the first three. I'm kicking myself for not having gone to see it in the theatre!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home