Thursday, October 18, 2007

Word Crack

illustration by Chistian McGrath

I'm finding myself completely and hopelessly addicted to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. I've told anyone who will listen that these books are so good, I call them "Word Crack." I knew I had a real problem when Paul said this morning "You know you need to get off the crack and come to bed earlier." My head hit the pillow last night at about 1:40am today, but I just couldn't put the darn book down!

I eased into The Dresden Files by way of discovering the DVD set from the single season that Sci-Fi produced. Paul and I found it at Target several months ago. We ate through that and then was slammed with the fact that Sci-Fi wasn't going to do a second season. ARGH! Canceled before we even knew it existed! What a bummer.

But then I discovered that the series is based from of a set of books. There's a series of 6 (Storm Front, Fool Moon, Grave Peril, Summer Knight, Death Masks, Blood Rites) and then several novels after that (Dead Beat, Proven Guilty, White Night and then Small Favor - due out in April 2008) I picked up the first one at Barnes and Noble and devoured it in a two days. I went back to the dealer for the next three. A couple days later I was back at the help counter to order the rest of the series just like a good junkie. I'm telling you - WORD. CRACK. Right now I'm on book 6 - Blood Rites - the last one in the series. But I still have a buffer of a few more novels after that. I'm already worried about withdrawal symptoms. I know I'll have to slow down when I order White Night - its still in hardback. But then I'll have Small Favor to look forward to this coming April.

Think of Harry Potter with a seriously adult twist of Guy Noir and a hell of a lot of good vs. evil action, told completely in first person, which is really quite refreshing. Toss some great good guy/bad guy characters - mobsters, vampires, faeries, hired guns, various spirits, demons, Chicago PD investigators and you've got Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. HIGH-ly recommended if you're into that kind of thing. My dealer (B&N) even gives discounts. 10% off if you're a part of the Word Crack Discount Club.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Anne said...

"The Word Crack Discount Club" --Love it!!!

B&N, in my universe, is also referred to as "The Mother Ship." :)

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Karisse said...

Ohh...I've been dying for a good book...so i'm definately going to have to go out and buy/borrow those! Have you ever read Showdown or the Black/Red/White trilogy by Ted Dekker? He's a crazy author. Love it. You should try it. Most of his stuff is action/mystery/good vs evil. I'm just sad he doesn't write 3 books a year!

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Anne - Paul is calling B&N the mother ship now!

Karisse - no I haven't - I'm writing him down on my book list! Right after I finish the Dresden books. Thanks for the tip! And GO GET SOME of Butcher's Word Crack - its good stuff!!!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Excellent! Hooray for Paul! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home