Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sanibel Island Redux

Wo. Its almost been 10 days since my last post. I know I know - shame on me. I had all these good intentions on hopping on and posting the other half of the Sanibel photos right after I got home - but playing catch-up from all that wonderful relaxing has taken a while. Now I have new and neglected projects surfacing all over the place and all I hear is the clock doing a double-time tick-tick-tick.

I have a short video of an oddly cool ocean critter that washed up on shore that I will post later. (I can already hear Laura, Joy and AM's "Ewwww! s") Him/Her/It doesn't fit into the category of any jelly fish that I could find - nor sea cucumbers either. So if anyone has even a remote guess - please let me know! For now here's a still shot of Orange gelatinous sea creature of Sanibel Island:


Everything - even storms - are beautiful at the beach, the sand even gets caught in that eerie blue/gray hue and you can see the rain add water to the salty sea.


We did drive into Ft. Myer's to see Edison's Winter residence and lab. I learned that we have Edison's rubber production experiments during WWII to thank for the 2nd largest Banyan (Ficus benghalensis) tree in the world. Planted in 1925 from a 4 foot cutting it now covers about 400 feet! I SO want to grow one of these!


Edison's lab - everything is pretty much in its original state with all the cool equipment, beakers and chemicals jars still out on the tables.


There was also a small museum attached to the grounds/gardens/lab. They had these fantastic light bulbs that had been manufactured specifically for the anniversary of the light bulb. Hmmm... I wonder if I could get one of these helmet mounted?


Coconuts, some building materials, a few plastic items (that I picked up to throw away) driftwood and this broken crab trap were among some of the items to wash up on shore. This crab trap was literally teeming with life. There were little red-clawed shrimp, tiny crabs, brightly colored sponges. Paul and I manged to rescue the visible shrimp and tiny crabs before the trap was picked over by the seagulls.


As I said before a lot of things washed up on shore....


My Mom helped us sort through handfuls of shells for the pretties - like the nice one (center) in the very first picture. She's so cute.


This is by far one of the most interesting shots I took. I took about 7 of these - right on the ground - with various ranges of focus - some more on the shells, some more on Paul. I really like this one because its right in between. Its like you've just looked up and are beginning to focus on the figure walking down the beach. And the sky's subtle rainbow as day turns into night really makes it moody.


Sanibel already feels like a distant dream.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Ok, you were in Fort Myers at the Edison-Ford Estates (I went last month) and didn't call me?! It's a half hour from my house!!! *Blows raspberries in your general direction* :) Beautiful pics overall, though.

And no clue about the amorphous little orange guy, but I'm curious about seeing it in action, so I'll wait for the video!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

I know 30 lashes with a slimy sea-slug. Laura already scolded me for not visiting her and AM up in JAX. I am planning on an all-visit trip to FL where I will hop all over the countryside visiting everyone. I have you on my list!

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Yippee! I am appeased. :) Don't lash yourself too severely!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Laura Williams said...

awwwww, it looks like home. (well maybe not the salty seawater, giant lightbulbs and gelatinous creature) but the overall atmosphere. don't you love those banyan trees!!!? (i like them from FAR AWAY - they harbor all sorts of lizards and florida creatures hidden in their limbs!!)

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just have to say you are an awesome photographer, Sabrina!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Laura - I love banyans and I also like the lizards. I really do want to grow one, and now I've got one of the fruits so I'm going to try!

Thanks Elizabeth! That's very nice of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home