Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Weekend Above Ground (with gratuitous tree hugging)

Spent the weekend above ground. Missed the mud - but the weather rewarded me with brilliant blue sky days and nights that begged to have the windows left wide open.

Saturday was filled with a hike, yet more strawberry picking which has/is yielding a plethora of strawberry recipe cooking, and a trip to a local nursery for some more vegetables.

This cedar tree was really cool. It had decided at a very young age to go into the rock moving business.

(a bit of gratuitous tree-hugging)

The strawberry plethora

Ventured out on Sunday to the Tennessee Renaissance Festival. I was the only fool in the group that arrived in garb - but it was cool - I got back at everyone by tickling them with the feather in my cap, poking everyone with the fletching on my arrows and jabbing them with my long bow. I didn't actually do any of these on purpose - really - I just had various items that seemed to lash out everywhere if I didn't keep them in check. Paul had to be my weapon bearer so I could control my arrows and be sure they didn't poke any one's eyes out in the crowds.

The "garbed fool"

The future people - Paul, Phillis, Tommy and Michelle

(some more gratuitous tree hugging)


Took a tour of the festival owner's real house - a castle that's been under construction for about 20 years so far. On memorial day weekend they are planning on lifting this timber framed copper rooftop with the largest crane in the world to the top of their other tower. The owner of the castle said to watch for it on the local news and then said with a laugh he hopes it doesn't show up on the national news, because something will have gone wrong).

The copper was blinding and I can't imagine how much this whole thing weighs!

The back view of the castle and the tower they are planning on capping this coming weekend


A joust with lance is way up there on my list of cool things to watch. Charging horses, sticks, and full armor - what could be better than that? And perhaps one of the only real things left of the old world that isn't "play acted." (other than the falconer exhibition which is way cool too!) They add extra neck and chest protection to their armor and the scoring is real with certain points for broken tips, shatterings and unhorsing. You pretty much can't fake a lance breaking from contact and you can't fake a horse at a gallop either. The Gath of Baal National Combat Jousting event is held at the TN ren-fest every year on Memorial day weekend with full contact jousting in three divisions for a real cash purse. And going back next Monday for the finals is pretty darn tempting.




Next time though I know I will not be the only one in garb. Paul finally "caved in" and bought an outfit. When we got home he did a fashion show for me so I could see the hat, shirt and pants all together. And its brilliant on him! I told him I'd have to make a nice cranberry colored sash for him to complete the outfit.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Karisse said...

Fun Fun Fun! Wish I could have gone tooooo!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOVE your costume :-)! Thanks for visiting my blog :-)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home