Tuesday, September 19, 2006

TLAPD!

Arrrrg me matey's. This here date is Talk Like a Pirate Day! So shiver me timbers, weigh anchor and hoist me mizzen spin a merry yarn and make everyone walk the plank in true Jolly Roger's style!

Here are some phrases to practice with:

"Ah-har! Jim lad! Shiver me timbers!"

"I don't know as I recall askin' ye for yer thoughts, ye scurvy bilge-drinkin' tar-merchant. Avast yer gob afore I keelhaul ye an' string yer bones from the crow's nest." - I didn't ask for your opinion. Shut up or you'll regret it.

"Yarr! Weigh anchor! Hoist the mizzen! Savvy, ye scallywag?!" “Or ye will be in Davey Jones' locker soon, ye Landlubber!”

"Thar she blows!" - The pirate equivalent of "Whoop, there it is!". [Arrgh...that be Whaler talk, and no respectable pirate would speak like a blubber lubber!]

"ARRRGHHHH" - this phrase shows general discontent. or it can also mean that someone is about to get wild- a.k.a. a battle cry.

"wake me at the zenith of the moon" - only full blown pirates know this phrase. An educated pirate is rare but also the most deadly kind. They are smarter than you and crazier.

"Ahoy, me hearties!" - Equivalent of "Hello, my friends!"

"Avast ye scum ridden weevil shaggers. Captain Black Beard is gonna keel haul you and grow barnacles on ye starboard knacker". - The Captain isn't happy...

"I'm gonna make a kill" - This pirate is going to kill something... and he is serious about it.

"Dogs ahoy!" - Equivalent of "Things to kill, straight ahead."

"Shiver me timbers!" - Like saying "Oh My!" like my legs are shaking

"Skuttle me Skippers" - Making a mistake and being judged for/by it.

"Avast ye varmint" - Stop right there young man because you're in big trouble.

"Weigh anchor!" - Let's go!

"Yarr." - I agree.

"Yarr!" - I see your point, and agree wholeheartedly.

"Yarr-ha-harr!" - You're right!

"Yarr?" - Excuse me, what did you say?

"Yarrgh" - I respectfully acknowledge that you are right and I am wrong

"Blow me down!" - You don't say? How surprising.

"Ye Scalawag!" - You dirty dog!

"Savvy?" - Is that okay with you? Do you understand?

"Ahoy" - Call to attract attention, something akin to 'Hello, there!'

""Fo'c's'le" - Slang for Forecastle. Small candlelit room where a pirate used the sopping bucket. (Bathroom)

"Jack" - A flag or a sailor; showing how sailors would refer to their ship's colors as one of the crew. Hence Jack Tar for sailor and the Union Jack flag.

"Messdeck lawyer" - A know-it-all

"Salmagundi" - A dish of chopped meat, eggs, anchovies, onions and anything else the cook can throw in; A piratical delicacy

"Son of a Biscuit Eater" - Not so much a sailor term, but a derrogatory term indicating someone you don't like

"Landlubber" - A "Non-pirate" or a curse for someone who is a coward

"Mungus" - A legendary pirate. I fear for my ancestors!

"Weigh anchor! Hoist the mizzen!!!" - Basically adds on to Let's go!

"davey jones' locker" - death after walking the plank. your coffin in the sea.

"A merry yarn" - A good story

More Phrases...
Dave Barry on TLAPD

1 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought it was "Talk Like Charlie Brown Getting Hit With A Line Drive" Day. Huh. Live and learn. Well here's some technology to help you next year. Verrry ergonomic. http://www.filehigh.com/serve/4505/36725.jpg or http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=5040&i=36725

 

Post a Comment

<< Home