Sunday, August 20, 2006

Free the Worms!!


My Mom and Dad paid 6$ to buy 50 earthworms for Paul and I's garden and then $18.80 to have them overnighted to me. We could have gone down to the local bait shop - but after my Dad gave me a long list of names for all of them one evening - it was too late because they were already winging their way to us. A needless to say perplexed post office employee actually called me the next day to tell me that I had a package that said it contained live worms - to please pick it up.


Note the two yellow stickies on the side of the bucket - those are the names that my Dad gave me for the worms.


I fed them plain grits like my Mom told me to until I could release them into the garden. (Apparently these are fancy worms that don't eat dirt like the rest of the earthworms on the planet) These worms had been fed grits on the earthworm farm that my parents had bought them from and eventually would have been used as bait. So really my folks rescued them from being drawn and quartered, drowned or eaten alive by a hungry fish. Paul and I had a big worm release party a few weeks back - with tiny little helium balloons for all the little wigglers and all the dirt the worms could eat. I think they really enjoyed it.


Our friend Jennifer also participated in the "Free the Worms" movement and released some in her garden too. For worms they are really well traveled - Florida, Alabama and Tennessee.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Laura Williams said...

sabrina that is totally gross. i cannot believe you got WORMS in the mail. (much love to your parents - but EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!)so does THIS get the prize for the strangest thing you have ever gotten in the mail??? :)

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Well, I've gotten a cucuzzi in a poster tube before. Its an Italian baseball bat squash. I think that ranks up there with the worms.

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did see the balloon in the picture!!! I just looked tooo quick. Now you will need to tell the ladies the worm joke I told you.
Glenn "Da BIG brother"

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother Daniel sent me a pine tree in the mail last year....I named her Maureen (since she arrived on Maureen O'Hara's birthday), and so far, she's trhiving in a pot on my front porch!

I still don't think that compares to the worms, though!! So what kind of names did your dad come up with?

Anne

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The worms Sabrina gave me seem to like their new home, except I think they would like more elegant accommodations (perhaps a Victoria flower garden instead of a vegetable garden). I see them occasionally coming up to sunbathe. They're such fancy worms they also surface occasionally to demand grits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home