Thursday, July 06, 2006

Blast From the Past #21

So one of the days my Mom and Dad and I were running - Saturday I believe - we drove over to Scottsboro for an Unclaimed Baggage run and happened upon "First Monday" in the downtown square. First Monday doesn't really occur on Monday but it does occur on the first weekend on the month which happened to be when we drove through. They close the town square off and let people set up little booths with all sorts of things - antiques, junk, new stuff, old stuff, vegetables, etc. We also made our way through a few of the little stores by the square. I found a treasure trove for $5. At first I thought it was just a big cheese crate - which was pretty cool in itself for $5 - but inside there were about 30 old patterns from the 40s-70s and then on top of that a slew of old photographs. Usually I think someone else's old photos are kind of creepy, but these were all smiling happy faces and some cool old cars, etc, so they were pretty cool. Let me stress again - all for FIVE DOLLARS! I bought it (obviously) and my Dad and I had a time sorting though all the old photos and my Mom and I looked through the patterns.


So this blast from the past is a two parter. There's one pattern in particular - from 1948 that is SO SWEET and I am so going to attempt to make it. The one I like is the Red and White Striped outfit on the far right.


The second part is a photobooth picture of a couple that is so wonderfully nostalgic. I found it in and amongst the patterns and other photos in my $5 cheese crate treasure chest. The back of the photo is blank. I think I could write an entire story from this single photo and I don't even know who they are. They look so happy in this shot and I can imagine the other three photos above it of them goofing off, maybe one of them kissing? The fellows uniform, her hair bow, the red lipstick. It makes me wonder about what happened to both of them, how their lives played out. In my version of their story they had their happy ending.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:48 AM, Blogger Laura Williams said...

wow beannie!!!! so fun!!! you always manage to find the most interesting things!!! hope you are feeling better!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Anne said...

What a fantastic photo. It looks very much like WWII era, to me. It does make you wonder what happened to them, definitely. I love stuff like that....and an unclaimed luggage event sounds like sooo much fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home