Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Blast From the (long distant) Past #17


In 2001 I was able to peruse the archives of the Castillo de San Marcos, the fort in St. Augustine Florida. They have quite a nice collection of photography and other interesting historical maps and surveys. I was even able to scan a number of the photographic archives - all while wearing those nice white cotton gloves that you have to wear. There are a few photos that I can still picture in my head. One is an early photo of the fort with snow covering the ground, long before the Bridge of Lions even existed. But I think my favorite is the one you see here; Henry Flagler, Florida Railroad pioneer, hotel entrepreneur, ruthless businessman (so I've heard) enjoying a quite moment with his dog, Delos, an American Eskimo. Delos could even be a great great great great great great grand dog of my American Eskimo. The photo has no date, but I would imagine it had to have been taken between 1888, when the Ponce was built, and 1913 when he died. I've passed that very spot where he was playing with his dog in ages past dozens of times I'm sure when I was at college at girls dorm (AKA the Ponce de Leon Hotel) at Flagler College.

  • Henry Flagler

  • Flagler College

  • Castillo de San Marcos
  • Labels:

    2 Comments:

    At 2:44 PM, Blogger Annamaria said...

    WOW...this is so cool...you sure do find great stuff, Bean!

     
    At 1:49 PM, Blogger Karisse said...

    Dear Mr. Flagler...thanks for buildin' us a college! ;)

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home