Monday, June 12, 2006

Afternoon in the garden


So Paul and I's little box garden is really growing in leaps and bounds as of late. I'm especially excited to see the cucumbers! I've never grown cukes before and I forgot that they have scary little spikes on them, having only seen home growns ones once or twice. I must admit I kind of expected them to fully waxed and dark green like their no-spiked store bought cousins. We've got tomatoes and green beans (Laura!!!) and eggplant, okra and zucchini and onions. So far there are beans on the bushes, green tomatoes and bright yellow blossoms for the next generation of tomatoes to come and then the cucumbers.



Then we have our little bucket herb garden - two varieties of basil, sage, rosemary, spearmint, thyme and chamomile. Hopefully I can make my own cup of chamomile tea if I can collect enough blooms. There's also a blueberry bush in the large pot on the right - this year we have a grand total of two blueberries! And then I have my most coveted plant - a Mamey that I grew from seed. This plant is two years old now. I grew it from the seed after I ate the fruit my Dad sent me from a Tampa farmers market; sheltered it through the winter inside and then slowly weened it from shade into full sun again. The fruit is almost like a sweet custard, and definitely one of my favorite fruits. More on the Mamey



3 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Jennifer Redstreake Geary said...

WOW! Nice garden!!! I am impressed :-)
Jen

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Anne said...

My few potted plants pale in comparison. :)

And what's a Mamey? I've never heard of them, but if they taste like custard, I might have to investigate further!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Laura Williams said...

nice veggie BEAN! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home