Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Why is a Raven Like a Writing Desk?

One of the books I am currently reading for the first time is a combined volume of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (originally published in 1865) & Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There (1875). Sure, I've seen the Disney movie, but it doesn't hold a candle to Dodgson's work on paper. It is truly a work of art, as history has proven. If you've never read the original books (the Golden book version doesn't count either!) I would highly suggest it just for a flight of fancy and fun.


In Carroll's forward he tells of his most asked inquiry - Is there an answer to the Mad Hatter's riddle?
He goes on to explain that when he wrote it, there was no answer in mind, but eventually he came up with an answer to satisfy his fans.

So, Why is a Raven Like a Writing Desk?

(answer tomorrow)

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In college, I learned the first few lines of "The Jabberwocky" in Japanese. Not just for fun; I was taking Japanese at the time. I still remember a little bit of it.

Burigu desita. Soshite wabu ni suraibi no tobusu wa guairu to gimaburu o sita.

'Cause you never know when someone will hold a gun to your head and ask you to recite Carroll in Japanese.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those books are great! Quite bizarre... I also recommend reading the Wizard of Oz if you have only seen the movie.

I think you and Paul need to visit Lickskillet, Alabama next and find out the story behind that name... You have to wonder what the citizens were thinking when they filed incorporation papers with those names!

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Brina Bat said...

Will have to put "Wizard of Oz" on my list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home